So, you just found out that your favourite moisturizer and your age defying serum has an expiry date. If you're like a lot of women, you may even use it sparingly so that it will last a long time. It never ceases to amaze us to hear this from our customers. Declaring that you still have some serum left in the bottle a year later is not reason to celebrate. If you're guilty of this, we have two words for you. Use it. It won't help you sitting pretty on your bathroom shelf. We micro-batch our formulas so that our customers get our botanical Actives...well, simply put...while they're active!
Let's look at a few guidelines for how long you should keep skincare products.
- Facial Moisturizers and Serums= 6 months to 1 year (for fragile skincare with a high degree of Actives...we recommend using up the product in 2 months, once you've opened the product). Most product is packaged in quantities that is best suited for specialized ingredients and based on its directions for its use (i.e. daily) it will run out in a few weeks from normal use.
- Toners, Hydrating Mists= up to 1 year
- facial cleansers= up to 1 year
- facial exfoliants= up to 1 year
If you have products that you've been using past their prime...don't put it on your face! In fact, you may causing some skin issues that you are trying to rid yourself of in the first place. Expired beauty products can put your skin at risk for contamination.
How can you tell if there is no expire date on the packaging?
- the product has changed colour
- it has separated or feels different
- use your nose...does it smell bad?
- Is your product labeled "preservative-free"...( without a preservative, contamination can happen quickly).Here at Wisp, we use a paraben/formalhyde free preservative at the lowest level possible for safety and your peace of mind.
Rule of thumb...if it's looks strange and smells bad or if you've been hanging on to it forever because of the pretty jar...it's time to toss it out.
Don't compromise the health of your skin.